Emerging report reaching Page 36 on Saturday night, indicates that at least 44 Rice Farmers were killed by suspected Boko Haram terrorists, while harvesting their crops, in Borno State.
Sources in Zabarmari, a community in the State, known for Rice Farming, stated that the Farmers were attacked as they were working on a Rice Field, at Garin Kwashebe.
The Farmers were attacked on Saturday, as residents of the State were voting to elect Local Government Council Officials, for the first time in 13 years.
The sources said that the Farmers “were rounded up, and summarily slaughtered by the armed insurgents”.
Hassan Zabarmari, a former Chairman of a Rice Farmers Association in the State, confirmed the incident.
“It was a sad incident that took place at about 11am, today. The Farmers were attacked at the Garin-Kwashebe Rice Field, and according to reports reaching us since afternoon, about 40 of them were killed.
“But we have been receiving conflicting information on the casualty figures, some said it was up to 50 Farmers that were slaughtered.”
A member of House Representatives, Ahmed Satomi, who represents Jere Federal Constituency, also confirmed the incident in an interview.
He said: “It was a very sad development that happened today, at Zabarmari Rice Field general area.
“Farmers and Fishermen were killed in cold blood. We have so far received 44 corpses from the farms, and we are preparing for their burials tomorrow by God’s grace.”
The Lawmaker added that the Farmers “were attacked, because they had on Friday, disarmed and arrested a Boko Haram gunman, who had been tormenting them”.