10 Hot Major News In Nigeria You Should Know | PurpleWorld Nigeria
- President Muhammadu Buhari has explained that the strategic reason for his administration’s borrowings was to provide the infrastructure that would make the country attractive to investors.
A statement by the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, said Mr Buhari gave the explanation on Tuesday during a virtual meeting with members of the Presidential Economic Advisory Council, PEAC.
According to him, Nigeria must fix its roads to save lives from soaring road accidents.
- Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo State has approved the resumption dates for public and private primary, secondary and tertiary institutions in the state.
Commissioner for Education, Barrister Olasukanmi Olaleye, made the announcement in a statement on Tuesday.
Olaleye in the statement said that schools will now operate morning and afternoon shifting for pupils and students of primary and secondary schools.
He noted that it is mandatory for all Schools, public and private to constitute COVID-19-19 Task Force to be headed by Heads of Schools with two members of staff.
He added that the Governor has also approved the re-opening of the state-owned tertiary institutions and private institutions.
Olaleye added that regular academic activities of tertiary institutions are to commence from Monday 28th September, 2020.
- A former governor of Edo State and ex-National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress, Adams Oshiomhole, is among top Nigerians slammed with a visa ban by the United States Government on Monday.
Kano State governor, Abdullahi Ganduje, and Kogi governor, Yahaya Bello, are also among those affected by the latest US sanction, it was gathered.
Governor Nasir el-Rufai of Kaduna on the other hand had his own visa ban extended.
He has been banned from entering the US since 2010 over a graft case.
According to US officials, more Nigerian politicians may be included on the visa ban list after the Edo governorship election if they are involved in electoral malpractice.
Those affected by the latest visa ban have received notification by email and or text messages, it was learnt.
A statement by spokesperson for the Department of State, Morgan Ortagus, on Monday said those issued visa bans received the sanction for undermining democracy in Nigeria.
- All Progressives Congress leader, Bola Tinubu , says Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo State does not deserve a single vote in Saturday ’s election .
He , therefore , called on Edo State voters to reject Obaseki who is the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party.
Tinubu said this in a sponsored broadcast on TVC on Tuesday .
- Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo State has replied the National Leader of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Bola Tinubu, over his claim that the governor does not deserve re-election.
Recall that Mr Tinubu had earlier called on the people of Edo State not to re-elect Mr Obaseki in the forthcoming governorship election, alleging that the governor was not a democrat.
Reacting, Mr Obaseki, in a statement on Tuesday by his Special Adviser on Media and Communication Strategy, Crusoe Osagie, said the APC national leader could not extend his political empire to Edo.
- Former President of the Senate, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki, Tuesday advanced reasons why he did not challenge the results of the 2019 general elections at the Tribunal despite alleged glaring irregularities.
He said that that he had to rein in his angry supporters and told them to maintain peace because “the lives of our people, the stability of our democracy and the peace of the society are more important than our personal interest or the inflated egos of the leaders.”
Saraki called on President Muhammadu Buhari and the 9th National Assembly to prioritize the reforms of the electoral system.
- The minister of Special Duties and Intergovernmental Affairs, George Akume, has advised Nigerians to always celebrate President Muhammadu Buhari, particularly for lifting the country from the abyss of poverty to economic prosperity.
Daily Times Nigeria gathered that Akume made this known while addressing during a handing over ceremony of his Permanent Secretary Festus Daudu, in Abuja.
He claimed that President Buhari met a corrupt system but has blocked the leakages.
- Organised Labour under the auspices of the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) has again disagreed with the Federal Government over the recent increase in the prices of petroleum products and electricity tariff, stressing that both policies are a burden on Nigerian workers.
President of the NLC, Ayubba Wabba, made this known to the Government during dialogue with government representatives on the state of the economy, even as he condemned the fixing of prices of electricity and petrol without consultations with Nigerians.
- Nobel Laureate, Prof Wole Soyinka, has said the country is more divided now than ever before under the current administration of President Muhammadu Buhari.
Soyinka, in a statement from his Autonomous Residence of Ijegba, Idi-Aba Estate, Abeokuta, Ogun State, on Tuesday, titled, ‘Between ‘Dividers-in-Chief’ and Dividers-in-Law,’ said though not a fan of former President Olusegun Obasanjo, he embraced any accurate reading of the nation as a contraption teetering on the edge of total collapse.
Obasanjo had, last week, said the country was slowly becoming a failed state and more divided under the Buhari administration, but the presidency reacted to the comment by describing the ex-president as the nation’s ‘Divider-in-Chief’.
The Nobel laureate stated that on Africa Day, May 2019, organised by the United Bank of Africa, he similarly seized an opening to direct the attention of the current government to warnings by the “Otta farmer” over the self-destruct turn that the nation had taken, urging the wisdom of heeding the message, even while remaining wary of the messenger.
10.The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) has confirmed that four of its personnel who were abducted by bandits on Monday had been rescued with the help of other security agencies.
FRSC’s Public Education Officer, ACM Bisi Kazeem, disclosed this yesterday in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja.
Twenty-six personnel of FRSC were reportedly attacked while traveling from Sokoto and Kebbi states Command of the corps for a training programme at FRSC Academy, Udi on Monday.
Two were killed, 10 were unaccounted for, eight escaped unhurt, while six were injured.
Kazeem, however, said that seven of the attacked personnel were currently receiving treatment in Abuja, adding that six were still abducted.
According to him, out of the 26 attacked on Monday, four have been rescued with the help of security agencies while six were still abducted.